Did you know that social media marketing has a 100% higher lead-to-close rate than outbound marketing? Or that 84% of B2B marketers use social media in some form? No matter what you sell and who you sell it to, using social media as a marketing tool can help you grow your brand and pad your wallet.
At this point in the game, not having an active social media presence is kind of like pulling out a flip phone at a business meeting and then not understanding why your boss keeps giving Brad all the new accounts.
But some people still own flip phones, and some people dig in their heels and say, what is social media marketing going to do for me? Do I really need it? Yes. Yes you do and here are some of the most compelling reasons why:
The Importance of Social Media for Web Traffic
- Social media posts can be used to drive targeted traffic. Creating a new page on your site is like taking a really great selfie. You want the world to see it and bask in its brilliance, but you dont want to beg for attention (or
Social Media is THE BEST Tool to Connect with (and Learn from!) Consumers & Industry Leaders
3. If youre doing it right, social media will lead to real relationship building. Part of what makes things like Twitter and Instagram marketing so cool is the interaction you get to have with your customer base you can read their tweets and status updates to get insights into their daily lives (and maybe adjust your marketing strategy as a result). What products are they buying and why? What are they doing on the weekend? What kind of posts do they love to share, and from what websites?
You can also use social media as a tool for connecting with complementary, non-competing businesses, thought leaders and tastemakers in your space, as well as journalists who cover your industry. Sometimes, becoming besties starts with a simple retweet.
worse, pay for it). Thats why for selfies and landing pages, well-placed social media posts can make all the difference. Weve seen a single link on Reddit drive over 20,000 visitors in one weekend and links submitted to StumbleUpon can take a page that was consistently earning a handful of visitors a day and increase that number to hundreds. Who wouldnt want to capitalize on that?
- Using social media for business boosts your sites SEO. Search engine crawlers know which pages are consistently earning traffic and which are just floating out there, forgotten and ignored. A killer content strategy for SEO is the most important part of earning top spots in search engine rankings, but driving traffic to your optimized pages will cause them to climb much faster in the search engine results pages (SERPs).
4. Users are receptive to your messages. People view Twitter and Facebook as social networks, not marketing machines. As a result, theyre less likely to see what you post as an advertisement and will be more likely to hear what you have to say. This translates to serious web traffic when you link to your site and posts that market themselves as your friends and followers share what youve posted.
5. Social media ads allow targeting and retargeting. One of the reasons social media is important is because of the highly customizable nature of social media ads. Facebook ads, for example, allow you to target users by things like location, education level, industry and even purchase history and the pages theyve liked. You also have to the option to install a Facebook pixel on your site and use it to retarget the users who visit you these people are far more likely to convert into solid leads and sales!
6. Social media can help you get noticed at events, and even generate earned media coverage. Whether your business is sponsoring a charity fundraiser or attending a major trade show, theres no better way to leverage your presence than with the help of social media.
The Importance of Social Media Marketing for Brand Image
7. You can respond to problems immediately. If theres a problem with your product or service, you want to know about it right away. With the feedback you get in the process of social media marketing, youll be the first to know when there are issues and you can take steps to resolve them right away. Studyafter study has shown that consumers appreciate companies that respond to customer complaints (and dont hesitate to rant online to anyone who will listen when companies dont take the time to make things right).
8. A strong social media presence builds brand loyalty. A report published by Texas Tech University found that brands with active social media profiles have more loyal customers. Its easy to imagine why: when youre engaging and interacting on social media (not just tossing your posts out onto the web hoping someone will stumble upon them) you become less like a corporation and more like what you truly are a unified group of people who share a vision.
The Right Social Media Marketing Strategy Can Help You Slay the Competition
9. Your competition is getting social, so you should too. Did you know that 91% of brands are using more than one social media platform? This isnt something you want to fall behind the competition on, because its much harder (and more expensive) to play catch up than it is to get in on the game early. If your competitors get to your potential customers first, theyll earn their loyalty and youll have a hard time winning them over. If youre active and engaging on a variety of networks, you can gain those friends and followers first and your competition will be playing catch up instead of the other way around.
10. The social media marketing arena is a (fairly) level playing field. Some brands may have bigger ad budgets than others, but all companies start off on pretty equal footing when it comes to social media marketing. The people and brands who thrive and go viral in are those with the most clever, attention grabbing tactics (and the most ridiculous gifs) and the most useful, link worthy content. In short, theyre providing value to their target audience while also showing personality and being entertaining. If you want to get lots of traffic and really increase your sales online, youre going to have to outwit, outnetwork and outwrite your competition while offering superior products and customer service. Isnt that what business is all about, anyway?
11. When it comes to newsjacking, social media is king. Sometimes your brand is mentioned on a cable TV show. Sometimes its not, but you know just how to slide your product into the story to aim the spotlight in your direction. Facebook, Twitter and even Reddit marketing give you a front row seat to the news thats becoming viral right as its happening. Jump in at just the right time and youll earn some major media attention and thats something you just cant do with a traditional ad campaign.
The Importance of Social Media Marketing for Sales and ROI
12. Social media marketing will get you more sales. Did you know that 70% of business-to-consumer marketers have acquired customers through Facebook? Or that 84% of CEOs and VPs say they use social media to help make purchasing decisions?
Not surprisingly, when you stay in front of your customer base, theyre more likely to buy from you when they need the products you sell. Social media marketing doesnt just keep your companys name in front of potential buyers, but it also gives you the opportunity to constantly give them incentives to buy. Try sharing coupon codes, with a unique code for each social channel you may be surprised at which social network drives the most sales.
13. Youll find customers you didnt know existed. If you set up streams to follow keywords in Twitter (Hootsuite makes this simple), you can find people who are looking for the products you sell and direct them to your site. Using Twitter for marketing is great that way telling people who want your products how to get them from your company is just an @ away.
14. Customers you didnt know existed will find (and buy from) you. In the process of marketing with Facebook, youll probably join a ton of groups related to your products, industry and customer base. By posting links in these groups, youll help influence customers to check out your site. Answering questions on Quora is another option. Post a link today, and two weeks/months/years later you might see a sale from it.
We can assist you market your business online at an affordable cost and we engage you in coming up with the best social media marketing strategy